Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Reward for the MS 150

When my sister and I were ... errr ... younger ... we wanted to open a shop called "I'm Not Hungry, I'll Just Pick." We have both been long enamoured of appetizers for dinner. A little of this and a little of that. Indeed, during the summer months, I used to do a "spread" which consisted of this and that and the kids loved. Come to think of it, I'd like to re-enact that dinner! My husband does loves his full meals - a protein, a starch and a vegetable. And since he married someone who like to cook - I do.


Well, this weekend, "the boys" were doing their fourth MS 150. A bicycle ride from Duluth back to the Twin Cities in a weekend. They love doing it, recount their stories endlessly for months and father and son have created an unstoppable memory for them while doing great good to people afflicted with MS. We have friends and family with the disease.
`
At home, Kirsten and I look forward to dinners that may not be complete. We went to Trader Joes and picked out pot stickers and quiches and dare I say it - cheesecakes - to make at will. But when my guys returned from the bike ride, I wanted something a little special waiting for them.
`
Bouchons au thon - straight from Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life.

They're like mini tuna quiches. Molly Wizenberg calls them "a taste of France." They certainly were "a taste of things to come." It was waiting for them and the guys I live with are always most appreciative. Have you noticed how much fun it is to cook for appreciative people?

Just as a small pearl of a mozzarella ball with basil and and a cherry tomato sighs, "bring me to Italy,"



... this recipe will bring you to France.

BOUCHONS AU THON
One 6-oz can of tuna packed in water, drained well
1 cup lightly packed shredded Gruyere
1/3 cup creme fraiche
3 T tomato paste
3 large eggs
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 T Italian Parsley (I knew I would find something Italian in this)
1/4 t salt

Set over rack in middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease 8 cups of standard muffin tin and set aside.
1
Put tuna in medium bowl and use a fork and mash it to break into small pieces. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. It should be orangey-pink.
`
Divide mixture evenly among 8 muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes until the bouchons look set on top and around the edges. Transfer to rack and cool for 5 minutes. Carefully run a knife around the edge and remove bouchons from tin. They may collapse a bit. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Eat. Visit Paris or Aix-en-Provence. Celebrate a bike ride or an accomplishment. Savor. It's a grand way to reward those coming home from a chairty bike ride.

18 comments:

Pearl said...

oh gosh! what a great reward!

Mary Bergfeld said...

These look really good. We get to share in the men's reward :-).

Anonymous said...

Hey--Love your blog! I just started an Italian food blog here:

http://alphabetcook.blogspot.com/

Stop on by!

Some of your writing is really good--I am also a budding culinary writer, have you written any stories?

John

Katy said...

Oh how delightful!

Denise said...

What a treat for ythem....

Wanda..... said...

I could almost smell them baking after reading the ingredients Claudia...Your husband is a lucky man!

OhioMom said...

Kudos to the guys on the MS 150! Bouchons look great, but that little bitty mozzarella, basil and mater screams SUMMER to me :)

Heather S-G said...

...like they just completed the Tour de France...nice! These sound delicious. And it is great cooking for an appreciative audience. Instant gratification :)

Reeni said...

These bouchons sound so good with gruyere - how delicious! Paris here I come!!

Creative Classroom Core said...

Some really great sounding stuff here!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had tuna so I can make these delicious bouchons right away! Yum!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Your a lady after my own heart. My Mother and I always kid that we could live off of finger food.

Anonymous said...

Freaking awesome. I wish you and your sister had opened that shop. I LOVE small bites and variety.
But they truly are lucky men indeed!

joe@italyville said...

Claudia.. everything is better on a stick! or so they say. Congrats to the guys for the MS 150, a great cause.

unconfidentialcook said...

They look amazing! And no dough!

Barbara GF said...

It's great to have a captive audience when it comes to food, Claudia. These little quiches must have been the perfect reward!
What a great mission you're on to help the battle against MS — we can all do our part in some way.

Sara said...

These sound really good! And unique too, I've never seen anything like them.

Wanda..... said...

Just stopped by to make sure I hadn't missed a post...it's been a while...Hope all is well.
Take care.