Sunday, June 28, 2009

Live, Love, Laugh

To every thing there is a season ... I am in the season of youth theatre. 52 children ages 9-18, 52 egos, 52 expectations, 52 students counting lines. 40 students who think their line count is deficient. Stage whispers, parent meetings, phone calls, casting woes, Victorian phrases, fish and chips, Dickens and my foodie life has moved over to accommodate them.
`
I am setting a schedule; I surreptitiously visit you when I can and am called away before commenting can happen. I'm making a list and checking it twice and will hover and knock on your door and sing back to you when the needs of the young calm down.
`
In the midst of theatrical mayhem, my wonderful, terrific, loving family from North Carolina came to visit. Meals for fourteen! Mayhem! Laughter and healing.

My father is battling an illness. He is a private man so I do not wish to expose his challenges on the World Wide Web - but you need to know to have his brother & Company up for a week was better than medicine.

A lot of laughing went on and a lot of cooking, too.
`
No sooner did the North Carolina contingent pack their bags and head south, than we here in Minnesota started packing Matthew's bags - to move him to his grad school apartment in North Dakota. Bittersweet, poignant, full of promise, filled with excitement and three flights up. The apartment quickly reminded me of home. Oh! That's because he has our furniture!
And I christened the new apartment with zucchini and mushrooms braised with wine and mixed in with fettuccine... and a bit of garlic (that's a given) and some thyme.



And through theatrical chaos, welcoming visitors and moving my first born, I made sure there was sweetness all around.

Mixed berry gelato...

And black forest mousse...
`
May all of your life's challenges also be tinged with sweetness.






20 comments:

Creative Classroom Core said...

Look at that dessert! So amazing looking! I could really go for a bite right now!

Katy ~ said...

Oh my goodness, what a whirlwind!

Hope your dad is doing well....

I love how you made a dinner for your son in his new apartment!

The play will go well and each will be a star!

Wanda..... said...

Hi Claudia...I just left a comment last night on your previous post...wondering where you were...Nice to know family life and your play were the reasons...

Hope the best for your dad and that your son doesn't miss your cooking too much!

Take care!

Donna-FFW said...

My best wishes and thoughts to your dad. Looks like a fun time had by all. And your food sounds amazing as always.

Heather S-G said...

Beautiful Claudia! Prayers for your papa. Thank you for the reminder to simply take the time to enjoy :)

Pearl said...

my best wishes to your dad. sometimes a happy, laughing family is more effective than the strongest medication.
good luck to your dear son at grad school! what is he studying?

OhioMom said...

Prayers for your daddy ... I am happy that his family brought the bestest medicine in the world .. love!

That mixed berry gelato looks wonderful.

Reeni said...

The fettucine looks delicious - as well as the desserts! All the best to your Dad and your son in his new apartment.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fun family visit! Best wishes for your dad and your son in his new place! That black forest mousse looks scrumptious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your dessert looks fabulous. It sounds as though you have not had time to breathe. I'm so glad your Dad enjoyed his stay and I have a question for you. How long will your son's apartment stay as it is in the photo? I must tell you I was really impressed :-).

Lyndas recipe box said...

You are one busy lady! Hope your father does well, it's so hard to see our parents battle illness, so I'll keep your family in my prayers.
Your son is going to miss mom's cooking, that's a cinch- those desserts and pasta fabulous looking!
Have fun with all those kiddos!

Christina Kim said...

i love your positive attitude.

unconfidentialcook said...

Sounds like an awful lot going on...and yet you seem to have everything under complete control, including an amazing meal!

Anonymous said...

what a cute blog! would you like to link exchange on our blogs? i am out looking for interesting and creative blogs to network with today:)Found your through finsmom's site!

Barbara GF said...

Oh, Claudia, you are most amazing - family and food make a great tonic in life, especially when they are peppered with the arts. I think you have nailed the recipe for a fulfilling life.
Now about that mousse ... you've got me craving it! :)

Sara said...

Sorry to hear about your father. I want that gelato, it would be delicious on a hot day like today!

Juliana said...

Great pictures of your family...and the desserts look so yummie!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Man...I hope everything goes well with your dad! I shall keep him in my prayers...
On a brigher note, LOVE that fettucine!

Bunny said...

52 kids....God Bless You!!!! Through all this you made wonderful food, you're a saint!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Claudia, I want that mousse! Family life is the best! Wishing the best for your Dad!