Monday, June 8, 2009

Cooking On An iceberg

You spend four days in a theatre and what happens? Winter returns to Minnesota in June. Now, I admit I haven't paid a lot of attention - to anything lately. But I did notice when walking back to my car that wearing a sweatshirt wasn't cutting it. It's freezing here! 47 degrees F on Saturday. Fifty on Sunday. I turned the heat on in my car! Did a meteor hit the moon when I wasn't looking? After ridding my fridge of winter comfort food, it's winter - another winter of my discontent. It snowed in northern Minnesota!
`
So I sit at my computer catching up - in sweats, sweatpants and gloves with fingertips removed. Not a pretty sight. On the other hand, I can stop bemoaning the fact that I have not lost twenty pounds this past year - because I'm still in baggy sweats!
`
Pulled out my chicken and turned to Giada's lovely recipe for Chicken Saltimbocca. Next thing you know, I'll be baking a yule log.





CHICKEN SALTIMBOCCA
1 10-oz frozen chopped spinach - thawed (I used fresh from frigid Farmer's Market)
3 T olive oil
1-1/2 t salt plus more to taste
1 t freshly ground pepper (or - you know - more - to taste)
6 chicken breasts pounded flat (I cut them in half)
6 slices of prosciutto (she says paper-thin - but I like these a wee bit thicker)
1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 14-oz can low-sodium chicken broth or what's in your freezer
3 T fresh lemon juice
`
Squeeze and drain spinach of excess water. Dry. In a small bowl, coat with 1 T of the olive oil. Season with 1/4 t of salt and pepper
`
Place cutlets on work surface and sprinkle with 1/2 t of salt and 1/4 t of pepper. (I just liberally sprinkle.) Lay 1 slice of prosciutto atop each cutlet. Arrange an even layer of spinach on each prosciutto-laden cutlet and sprinkle Parmesan evenly over each. Beginning at the short tapered end, roll up each cutlet as a jelly roll and secure with toothpick.
`
In heavy skillet, heat remaining 2T of olive oil over high flame. Add cutlets and cook until golden brown - about 2 minutes per side. Add the broth and lemon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer till cooked through - about four minutes. (Mine usually take a wee bit longer). I know "wee bit" isn't scientific.
`
Transfer cutlets to platter. Increase heat and cook the sauce until it is reduced to about 1/2 cup. (Five minutes?) Season with salt and pepper to taste, drizzle sauce over chicken and serve.
`
Excuse me while I dig out my ski cap and long underwear.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was that cold when we were in Chicago too on Saturday! I didn't bring a jacket and was absolutely freezing! Chicken Saltimbocca sounds yummy!

Donna-FFW said...

I am trying this dish very soon Claudia. Sounds wonderful. Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

what? the weather is crazy! oh wow...global warming?
man...that chicken saltimbocca looks awesome!
Stay warm and toasty! I like to pull up my knee-high socks during cold times. They have bobbles on them! tee hee!

Sara said...

Sorry to hear about your weather, hopefully it warms up soon! The saltimbocca looks delicious.

Heather said...

mmm. i love saltimbocca. so delicious! hope it warms up there for you :D

Heather S-G said...

Really? It's that chilly still...no fun :( But the saltimbocca sounds looks delicious...I've never heard of it using spinach before. Yum :P

Anonymous said...

I'm from Minnesota so you have my sympathy. But I have to say, if you are going to suffer through the cold, chicken saltimbocca is the way to go

OhioMom said...

It is hot and humid here (running and ducking :)

The Chicken Saltimbocca looks delish!

Creative Classroom Core said...

This sounds very tasty! Thanks for sharing!

Wanda..... said...

The weather is on everybody's mind...it's strange all over...Here in Southwest Ohio it was almost cold a few days last week...today it is hot and humid after a horrific thunderstorm early this morning...one thing we can count on is good recipes at Claudia's!

kiss my spatula said...

always looking for new chicken ideas and your saltimbocca sounds just delicious. thanks for sharing!

Gloria Chadwick said...

Sorry to hear about your snow, but the chicken saltimbocca looks delicious! Cold weather is one of the reasons I moved from Chicago to Texas. While you're freezing in the snow, I'm here sweating in the 90+ degree weather with my A/C on. :)

Reeni said...

I'm sure this dish warmed you up wonderfully! How delicious! It's been rainy here, too, not quite as cold, but cold enough that I ate soup for dinner.

Bunny said...

The weather is so weird isn't it, you don't know how to dress anymore. Lastnight we had a lightning storm that really scared me silly! Love this chicken!

foodcreate said...

It's hot and humid here!

your recipe looks delicious Chicken Saltimbocca looks mouthwatering!

Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Welcome~~
http://foodcreate.com

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Claudia you never cease to amaze me. You are so busy and working so hard at the theater and then come home and make this wonderful meal. I am going to make this for sure. I can't believe how cold the weather still is in MN.