Saturday, January 16, 2010

Celebrating with Savory Jazzed-up Italian Quinoa Cake

I have fallen in love with quinoa. I must give a nod to Chocolate and Zucchini's Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen which inspired this recipe. I lightened it up - no cream, reduced the bacon slices to from 6 to 2 and changed some of the additions. But the basic cake recipe is Clotilde Dusoulier's. She inspired me to play with the additions and changes.
'
It's been a nice mellow week. Grains and vegetables (with a little bacon) comforts. I am part of the "pajama brigade" (Clotilde's term) for the winter. My work is at home and I am savoring it - even if working for yourself means you work 12 hours per day.
'
Scheme Space ( my play about cyber-bullying) has been picked up by a small outfit - YouthPLAYS. I know the work of the playwrights involved and it is a good fit.
'
And then Frigidaire contacted me and asked about sending a recipe for their site. As I am a woman of "a certain age," I know them well. Frigidaire was founded in 1916 and is the originator of the first electric self-contained refrigerator, home food freezer, and room air conditioner. The company prides itself on offering customers exceptional and affordable home appliances and products.
'
For those we know me, I am not a huge marketer of my blog. I comment sincerely on blogs I cook from, am a member of Food buzz and leave it at that. My work is playwrighting so I am not looking for that "cookbook" contract. So, of course I am honored when someone seeks me out. ("Really? Are you sure you want me?") I sent them my tortoni recipe for their recipe page because I thought it was timeless and vintage as they are.
Quinoa cake. A savory, delectable mixture of grains, bacon, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes... are you comforted yet? The perfect way to celebrate a warming, winter week. An ancient South American grain that used to be found only in health food stores (yes, it's that good for you) is a perfect protein and adaptable to most cuisines. And if you are meatless, simply omit the bacon.
Savory Jazzed-up Italian Quinoa Cake
1 12 oz box Quinoa
1 tsp + 1 tbls extra-virgin olive oil
1 large shallot minced
8-16 oz of your favorite mushrooms (I plumped up and added some dry porcinis)
*optional: 2 slices bacon, crumbled
1 small jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (you can use dried and soak them for 30 minutes)
1 small bunch fresh basil - sliced
1/2 cup freshly shredded Parmesan
3 eggs
1/4 cup milk (I used 2%)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Oil a 9-inch spring form cake pan (see, it really is a cake). Cook your quinoa according to package directions and set aside. If using, cook your bacon.


Saute your shallot in either 1 tsp of bacon grease or (as I did) 1 tsp olive oil till soft. (2-3 minutes)

Add your mushrooms and drizzle 1 tbs on top. Saute till soft and mushrooms have rendered their juices. (5 minutes)


Add your sun-dried tomatoes

Saute till combined - about 1 minute.


Add your sliced basil and just combine. Beat your eggs and milk together and mix thoroughly with quinoa. Add your mushroom mixture.


Crumple your bacon on top.



Add your Parmesan.



Mix well.




Pour into prepared pan. If desired (I desire) sprinkle with more Parmesan. Cook about 35 minutes till top and edges are brown.

Like this.



And this.

Serve while warm. If making ahead of time, simply cover and store in fridge. Cook for 10-15 minutes in 350 degree F oven to rewarm. Could be a main dish with a salad. A light lunch. A buffet item. In fact - it could be whatever you want it to be. Next week, I am making this with turkey sausage, rapini and sage. And later with goat cheese, thyme and tomatoes. And the beat goes on. Mangiamo.

54 comments:

Proud Italian Cook said...

Congratulations on your play being picked up Claudia, how rewarding that must be for you. I too love quinoa and this recipe sounds delicious!

Wanda..... said...

I always think of buying quinoa, but never have. Your recipe tells me I should, so I will Claudia!

Velva said...

Claudia, This recipe for quinoa cake looks really interesting. I have 5lbs of organic quinoa and this would be a really unique way of enjoying this grain. I have copied and pasted the recipe.

Hey, congrats on having your playwright picked up! YES!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Great news about the play! This looks fantastic!! The colors are glorious :) awesome job Claudia :) I just love saying your name

Claudia said...

Thanks,Marie. I appreciate the nod to my "real work." You always think you'll never be published or produced again. Much like acting.

And Wanda - do try it and just put your favorite vegetables, cheeses in it. Enjoy!

Claudia said...

Velva, tellme what you do with it.I hope you enjoy.

Claudia, do you know my parents got a B- on facebook for originality with my name. I swear it's the only facebook quiz I ever took (on my honor) and never pasted it. And after my birth year, it was never popular again. Claudia's must stick together!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

You've had quite a week haven't you! It's so nice to have good news in this week of horrid reports and I congratulate you on both the play being picked up and the Frigidaire recipe. I never saw quinoa used in a "cake" such as you posted. It sounds like a nice change from the usual quiche.

Claudia said...

I have thought long and hard this week on my life - which has been easier because of an accident of birth - I was born in the USA because of immigrant parents who risked a lot to come here.

And how lucky I am right now - being able to contribute to the welfare of others. The worth of Facebook and twitter - certainly spread their wings as the knowledge of how to donate and help was distributed quickly in an unprecedented fashion. Food for thought.

Cookin' Canuck said...

Fantastic, original use of quinoa. I'm really looking forward to trying this and maybe playing around with some variations. Congratulations on the Frigidaire request!

Angie's Recipes said...

I have thought of using quinoa to make a savoury cake. This looks absolutely gorgeous.

sophia said...

Oh Claudia, this is fabulous! What a great quinoa dish...and a savory version of cake! With bacon, and cheese, too! umami factor times 9!

pierre said...

i love quinoa this is very healthy !! cheers From Pierre in Paris

Katy ~ said...

Claudia, this looks good. I have never tried quinoa, but i would certainly like to try a nice wedge of this. Love the ingredients in this.

Donna-FFW said...

Claudia.. this quinoa cake sounds divine. I have never thought to use it in this way. Perfect.

Congrats on being 'picked up' for your cyber bullying play. That's fantastic. Good luck with the frigidaire recipe!

Reeni said...

This looks absolutely delicious Claudia! While I'm home eating it in my pajamas I'll be thinking of you doing the same.

Drick said...

3 great wins - the play, the vintage recipe & this new one... good going

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Congrats on the play and the Frigidaire deal! The Tortoni recipe rocks and my kids loved it!
I cook quinoa often but never a cake? Love the idea and I'll give a try.
Thanks again for another great recipe!

Kim said...

Quinoa cake sounds healthy and delicious! Congrats on your play being picked up and also congrats on the fridgadaire feature!!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Claudia, congratulations of your play. It was be a wonderful feeling. I've never cooked with quinoa, but your recipe has me intrigued.

Tasty Eats At Home said...

I too love quinoa. This is wonderful - so creative, so delicious-looking!

OysterCulture said...

My hats off to you, I never would have thought of a quinoi cake, I've been so focused on making salads with that wonderful grain, it just never occurred to me, but you are brilliant. I love the sounds of this and what smart people the folks at Fridgeaire are to recognize your wonderful creativity in the kitchen. Finally one more congratulation on having your play picked up, what a timely topic - any change, any snippets of your plays on UTube that can be shared?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your feature! Im not in the least surprised you were invited! Your recipes are always gorgeous! Never tried quino before but this has really made me curious. Need to hunt around for some!

chow and chatter said...

oh so happy for you getting your recipe featured this is a great cake, and you are an amazing cook so it doesn't surprise me lol Rebecca

Nancy said...

This savory cake looks scrumptious! What a creative way to use quinoa; I will definitely try this soon. ANd congratulations on your recipe being featured by Frigidaire!

Maris said...

What a great idea! I can't wait to hear your next version - you said the magic words: goat cheese!

bonnie said...

Congrats on having your recipe featured, this also looks very tasty!1

Barbara GF said...

Tasty food for thought, Claudia, thanks! I love quinoa - it works so well in so many ways.
And congratulations on your play getting picked up - way to go!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Claudia, congrats on your play!

I have never used quinona before but your cake looks so savory. I must broaden my hoizons!

Michelle said...

I was at my Doctors today and they must have been behind because even though I was early, it was well past my appt before I was finally ushered into the examining room.

But that's was okay because I tore out every quinoa recipe I could find in their stack of magazines! I must have 20 recipes...LOL!

Michelle

figtree said...

I love quinoa as well. Im trying to convince my family to love it as well..so far they are ehhhhh...What a creative recipe.

Claudia said...

Thanks, all. I was inspired by Chocolate and Zucchini. I think I am more creative on paper.

Anonymous said...

The quinoa savory cake is an awesome creation! I love the combination of ingredients here with sun-dried tomatoes and bacon!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Congratulations Claudia on both having a play published and for being invited to write a recipe for Frigidaire! So well deserved! The tortoni was the perfect recipe selection.

I love quinoa and I'm excited to try this recipe. I love bacon but I don't buy it anymore because of cholesterol so my version will be vegetarian. It looks so delicious.

Trish said...

I really must get back to using quinoa more often. Another recipe to use it in is perfect and I can tell the ingredients will make this a tasty dish indeed.

Aparna said...

wow luks awesome and i would like to try italian food..you have given such a detailed description...following you dear..

janet said...

I am not surprised Frigidaire would seek a recipe from you, your food is always fabulous!
I too have a love affair with quinoa:)

Jennifer Galatioto said...

I'm going to try this. Great idea!

Barbara said...

What a super dish! Leave it to Chocolate and Zucchini! I cull so many recipes from that blog! Clotilde is brilliant.
Your photos are wonderful and I am copying the recipe now. Can't wait to hear about how all your other versions turn out!

Juliana said...

Claudia, what a great recipes...never thought in making cake with quinoa...looks fabulous and sure very tasty :-)

Darius T. Williams said...

Of course this looks fantastic!!!

Kathleen said...

This sounds really wonderful!

theUngourmet said...

How fun that you have this recipe on here! I just said to my daughter last night, "I wonder how a cake with quinoa would be?". Now I know. It would be delicious! Great recipe!

Vrinda said...

I never tried savory cake with quinoa,sounds healthy and looks fab too...hav to try this...

Megan said...

I love quinoa and love to have some different ways to make it. Thanks for the recipe. I'll be trying it out on the family!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

That's great news about your play and also Frigidaire. I'm so pleased for you.

I'm just beginning to learn about how to cook Quinoa. I've known about it for years but it's hard to find in our supermarket in the mountains. I have a bag I bought when I visited the city and your recipe has inspired me to give it a try.
Sam

Table Talk said...

All kinds of good things happening here! Very innovative :)

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

The quinoa is super healthy and versatile, love this cake :)

I've an award waiting for you at my blog!

Cheers,

Gera

La Bella Cooks said...

I am so glad to hear your play has been picked up! Kudos to you! Bacon, mushrooms and quinoa...what is not to love? I might not share if I made this.

My Little Space said...

This looks beautiful! Exactly, a piece of cake....simply yummy.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

My husband has been fighting me on using quinoa but this recipe might be the one to change his mind. Very original.

Barbara Bakes said...

So many quinoa recipes on the web right now and I haven't even tried it yet. This sounds like a yummy one my family would love. Let them eat cake!

NKP said...

Wild! I have never made a quinoa cake or casserole. Delicious!

eatingRD said...

I'm a huge fan of quinoa since it's a complete protein. Your dish looks wonderful!

Antonietta said...

wow this looks amazing! I love quinoa and just finished eating some for lunch!