Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Someday" is not a Day of the Week

"Tomorrow is the busiest day of the week."
`
Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday."
`
And so it goes. Or went. I mean - it had to happen, right? There had to come a time when the cover recipe of Bon Appetit would not sing to me. But I was a martyr. I would forge on. And forge on I did. So much so, that my sister and I put the cover dinner on the table on June 17th.
`
And for over one month, I have successfully avoided writing about it. I didn't take a pretty picture. I liked all the ingredients separately but when I put them together, I felt as if the Easter Bunny invaded my Christmas town. It didn't fit. So, what would I write about? "Love and marriage go together like a horse and carriage" but "shrimp in corn tortillas with salsa verde" don't?
`
My daughter hates coconut, I could live my life without ever having cilantro again and my father won't touch pesto - so I chalked it up to - the quirky taste palettes we all have. I only like beets because they're pretty. My husband shudders at the thought of tiramisu for dessert. We are what we eat and what we choose not to eat!
`
So, even if I did procrastinate about the monthly entry - we did eat.

A Pinot Grigio was poured and we put out: marcona almonds, carrots and radishes with a lemony herb vegetable dip, white cheddar made by Milton Creamery in Iowa and and a feta-curry chutney torta made locally by Fig and Fromage. Does it go together? Not really. Was there something for all the fussy eaters invited? Absolutely.

The lemony herb dip was from the June 2009 issue of Bon Appetit and couldn't be easier.

LEMONY HERB DIP - makes one cup - flavor increases as it sits - so make-ahead
8 oz container of sour cream or creme fraiche (I combined the sour cream with my leftover creme fraiche - it worked)

2 T chopped fresh chives (I used closer to 5 T)
2 T chopped fresh dill (I used 4 T)
1 T fresh lemon juice (about right - I probably used a tad more)
1-2 bunches of radishes with tops
1-2 punches of baby carrots with tops, peeled

Mix first 4 ingredients in bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let dip stand for 40 minutes at room temperature or cover and chill until ready to serve. (Can be made 1 day ahead)
Serve with radishes and carrots.
`
Meanwhile, we were busy in the kitchen making:
SHRIMP AND COTIJA ENCHILADAS WITH SALSA VERDE AND CREMA MEXICANA
Find the recipe and a much better photo by clicking: HERE


And we ended with the easiest mousse in the world:

Black Forest Chocolate Mousse

Find the recipe: HERE


For me - ending any meal with chocolate makes it worthwhile. Having people gathered at my table is always a good thing. My decision to make the cover recipes for Bon Appetit and Tastes of Italia every month still helps me jump out of my little "pasta-cannoli" comfort zone once in a while.
Chacun a son gout. "Each to his (her!) own taste!"

3 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yummy! I think your meal looks delicious. That mousse is something I have to try!

momgateway said...

I fully agree with you-- a chocolate ending to a meal is just perfect!

Lynn said...

This is my first visit to your blog, and it's fun to read your Bon Appetit story. What a fun idea, to make yourself try different kinds of recipes. And the mousse looks especially tasty.