Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Seek and Ye Shall Find


This is what my daughter covets. We call it "Pizza di Grane." Others call it "Pastiera di Grano" - probably more correct - my grandmother spoke an odd dialect. My daughter is used to hiding sweets. She has a brother that forages and will demolish all treats in one evening. When he's home for the weekend, her treats are hidden in her room - not my favorite spot for them. He seeks - but he may not search her closet.
Her father (my husband) will also demolish treats - but he is not a good seeker. If you put something behind the milk - it is safe. He will never move the milk. You just don't want anything in plain sight.
But the Pizza di Grane is for the family - and I am as guilty as any of cutting sliver after sliver (really - just "credit-card" slices) until half the pie is gone. There are many recipes for this - my mother's is a tad on the sweet side. My Aunt Fay's was a bit more wheat-like. It doesn't matter - it only comes once a year and we enjoy it. By the time the photo was taken - most of it had been demolished. (Pies were not made to be cut into credit-card slivers.)
Our family recipe is here. Finding La Dolce Vita's recipe is here. There are others and I'd be happy to post links. Otherwise: "seek and ye shall find."

16 comments:

Pearl said...

i love that mix of colors!

Heather said...

beautiful!! i love that you hide stuff from your husband behind the milk ;) i'll have to start keeping the stuff i want to hide in the veggie drawer. nick would never get caught in there ;)

Reeni said...

It is gorgeous!! I am putting it on my list to make next year. How funny-about hiding the treats! I hate eating the last piece of anything in my house-I don't want to get blamed if someone else had their sights set on it.

unconfidentialcook said...

I'm going into the kitchen right now to see what's behind the milk!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks perfect Claudia. I love it. I hide things too.. I thought that was pure normalness;)
MM, keep thinking of this photo!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That must be delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Looks very delicious and colorful!

Daziano said...

Ciao!

I'd also demolish your pizza di grane!!! Buonissima!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Absolutely fabulous! I could eat this all by myself!

Claudia said...

ymother will be sopleased - she didn'twant me to take a photo of it. Hmmm - hiding things in the veggie drawer is a grand idea!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a beautiful treat. I love the fact that you are hiding treats.

Janet_Gourmet Traveller 88 said...

It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your recipes. The multicolor topping is awesome.

Kumudha said...

So many beautiful food pictures!

Elyse said...

Wow, what a gorgeous looking treat. I'm like your daughter: I will hide my treats if I must. I don't want my sweets to disappear before I've had my share. Not only am I a hoarder, though, I'm also a seeker: what a great combination, right?

Claudia said...

A combination of a hoarder and aseeker will do you well in life!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.