Sunday, November 27, 2011

Carrots in Marsala

Consider this: you have a table laden with turkey, gravy, truly-heart-stopping-clogging mashed potatoes, salads, pumpkin bread, wheat rolls, apple-sausage stuffing and the first thing to go are the carrots.


I began to think "Claudia, you're on to something." The recipe hails from Sicily and the secret star  is Sicily's Marsala wine. The recipe is from Williams-Sonoma's Savoring Italy by Michele Scicolone. With a little butter, a shallot and some Marsala wine,  the carrots are transformed from rabbit-crunchy food to an elegance that speaks of a strand of pearls. And if a living mollusk can create a pearl, it is perfectly reasonable to me that a vegetable garden plus an Italian recipe can produce similar elegance.

Carote in Marsala
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 shallot, chopped
1 pound (500 g) carrots, peeled and sliced thin
salt to taste
1/4 cup (2 fluid ounces, 60 ml dry Marsala)**
(to make this vegan use Earth Balance Butter)

*I used sweet Marsala and I will spare you the reason why; suffice to say - it worked
** Substitutions for Marsala: apple juice with a drop of sherry vinegar and a table spoon of honey (it won't be the same but it will imitate the sweet syrupy glaze)


In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the shallot and saute until just tender. Add the carrots and the salt, reduce heat to low, cover and cook - stirring occasionally - until the carrots are tender - about 20 minutes. If they begin to scorch, add a little bit of water. Add the Marsala and cook, uncovered, until it evaporates (3-4 minutes). Serve immediately.

In this season of rushing, perfection-yearning, overload and "must-do," there is sophistication in this simple prep. It showcases what Italians do so well - make it seasonal and make it the star. The carrots are enriched by the other ingredients but they remain front and center. Time to let the vegetable shine!

34 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love Marsala, this is a wonderful addition for this vegetable. You are a woman after my own heart.

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

I love Marsala, this is a wonderful addition for this vegetable. You are a woman after my own heart.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Holy cow. I'm in. It boggles my mind that I'm the only one in my family to like carrots - what's wrong with everyone else?!? I think this recipe just might persuade them...

Monet said...

I can see why these were the first to go! This looks delicious, as always, and your words make me smile, yet again. I hope you have a blessed week and a wonderful season of joy and food and fun.

Torviewtoronto said...

I haven't made carrots like this looks wonderful

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I'd have taken a big serving too Claudia. Sometimes simple and delicious is what everyone yearns for.

That Girl said...

My Thanksgiving was totally lacking in carrots.

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

I love carrots done that way! Very yummy. Savory and sweet. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a terrific way to prepare carrots! an excellent side dish! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration!

FOODESSA said...

Hello Claudia...hope your Thanksgiving was memorable ;)

Marsala...hmmm...in Sabayon or carrots...I'd pick both for the sinful and healthier part of my slimness journey. LOL

Simple sidedish recipe...much appreciated...as well as that potato tuna appetizer delight ;o)

Have a great week,
Claudia

Unknown said...

"...what Italians do so well - make it seasonal..."

We had dinner with friends last night and that line was the subject of our conversation at one point. You're so right about that.

The carrots are amazing-looking. I'm a fan of marsala wine anyhow and think it would pair perfectly with carrots and caramelized shallots! Thanks for sharing what will probably end up on our Christmas table.

Emily Malloy said...

So delicious!!

Beth said...

I used to cook with marsala quite a bit, and you've just reminded me that it's been a while. These carrots look amazing, and I'll definitely give them a try!

The Food Hunter said...

have a bag of carrots at home that I just wasn't sure what to do with...now I know. Thanks

Mary Bergfeld said...

My, but those look good. I even have marsala in the pantry so there is no excuse not to give this a try. I happen to be a fan of carrots, so I know I'd love this recipe. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Angie's Recipes said...

Today I also made some carrots for the dinner, but with sherry ;-)) I will try with Marsala next time. It looks really delicious.

Wanda..... said...

I know this would become a favorite dish!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris said...

Mmmm! Wonderful!! Can we drink Marsala while we cook?
Perfetto !!!
Brava Claudia!!!

Carol Egbert said...

Lovely color. I'm sure they taste as good as they look.

Cucina49 said...

The vegetables were a popular item at the Thanksgiving I attended, as well--this is a nice twist on the usual cooked carrots!

Zoe said...

This is an interesting way to cook carrots.

Claudia said...

Zoe - I love this comment. My daughter had a friend who was always inquiring what I was cooking and after she found out the answer, she always commented to me, "In-ter-est-ing."

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, YUM! Such a simple, yet delicious way, to make carrots into an impressive side dish. I have all these ingredients...so will definitely give it a go. Hope you had a wonderful holiday~

Jeannie said...

Simple yet delicious, can't think of a better way to serve carrots:)

Velva said...

Carrots are wonderful when they have an opportunity to be prepared in a manner that releases their natural sugars. They can be elegant and exquisite tasting. Yours look divine. The addition of marsala brings it to a new level.

Happy Holidays Claudia-to you and your family.

Velva

chow and chatter said...

wow my kind of carrots would steal the show :-) thanks for the kind comment on my blog Claudia made my day

Jill Colonna said...

Claudia, no wonder these carrots went first. OMG - this is so easy yet never would have thought. Bet it changes everything. I normally just do the classic glazed carrots but adding marsala (interesting you using sweet and works well but makes so much sense.) I am willing to try both ;-)
Fantastic!

Island Vittles said...

Marsala on the mind...it's been on mine for over a week. Do you have any recipes for walnuts preserved in marsala in your Italian collection? I'm sure I've had them before and I have a pile of walnuts here waiting for me to do something! theresa

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I always have a bottle of Marsala on hand and like you, Claudia, I prefer the sweet version.

The carrots looks so good, I could make a meal out of them!

Gina said...

I love carrots any day of the week, not just for the holidays. Keeping this one on the short list as in next time I make carrots. I would use the sweet too, just because I like everything with a touch of sweetness. Hope you are having a great week. I have a give-away if you are interested.
-Gina-

vianney said...

Oh this is a great recipe!! I love to serve carrots and my kids adore them. I will try this soon!!

Barbara GF said...

This is simply sublime, Claudia. Elegance like a string of pearls - you are so right. I am definitely going to make this one soon.

Bo said...

My dad's favorite vegetable is carrots...I'll have to try this out on him.

Reeni said...

My family thinks I'm crazy but roasted carrots are one of my favorites - these sound delectable! Have a great weekend Claudia! xoxo