Friday, October 28, 2011

Godiva Coffee inspires Cappuccino Muffins and Affogato

I have spent ten days locked in the computer room writing an "Artist Statement." Downstairs in the den, Kirsten is writing her "Statement of Purpose" for grad school applications. We have bridged the generation gap and compare word count and ask each other "are we writing in the active first person?"  


Days like these call for coffee. On hour 50 as I contemplate the themes that stream through my plays and just  what is my 'artistic vision for theatre' anyway - I crave coffee. The promise of coffee lures me out of "artist statement purgatory." I received two bags of Godiva Coffee's seasonal flavors: Pumpkin Spice and Caramel Pecan Bark through the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program. Theatre is "all in the timing" and these were perfectly timed gifts! Kirsten and I bonded over word-count and many cups of coffee.


Aside from downing many pots of rich, autumn-spiced black coffee - I baked. These cappuccino muffins have been on my to-do list for awhile. Black coffee is such a tease. It knows you will cave in and make a sweet.


Cappuccino Muffins (slightly changed from Home Baking)
(Makes 12 - okay, mine made 11)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar plus 1/8 cup sugar (divided)
2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup Pumpkin Spice Godiva Coffee - make a strong brew
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 egg - slightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used bittersweet)


Preparation
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin tin or grease liberally.

In a large bowl whisk flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt cinnamon and nutmeg. In a coffee mug, add 1/8 cup sugar to 1/4 cup of the brewed strong coffee. You could even simmer it down a bit and let it caramelize Let the coffee cool. In a medium bowl mix the milk, egg,. butter, vanilla and cooled coffee. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips. Fill muffin tins 3/4 cups full. You should get 12 muffins if you don't spill the batter all over the tin as I did.

Bake 15-20 minutes until toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. The website states this freezes well. I have no idea. After I announced this on Facebook all sorts of friends came-a-calling.  It's a light treat - and some people related to me consumed 4 at one time. Just a touch of coffee - and enough chocolate to keep it interesting. And for the very few of you who don't love chocolate (although how anyone can write an artistic statement without chocolate and coffee baffles me) - if you left it out - I wouldn't berate you. 

The next treat is a no-brainer. It's perfectly suited to Godiva's Caramel-Pecan Bark coffee. If you're Italian - you know it form the photo. If I took a proper photo. While creating the perfect artistic statement... 


Affogato. Traditionally it is simply the best quality gelato you can get your hands on doused with equally good-quality  espresso. A little chocolate or caramel wouldn't hurt!


 No brain cells were destroyed in the creating and consumption of these coffees and sweets. Indeed, the Artistic Statement left the house late this afternoon. And I feel like I just scored the winning run in Game Six of the World Series. Oh! Someone did that yesterday, didn't they?

And there's a bonus to this coffee. Not only does it deliver a non-bitter rich cup of java - it brings autumn into your home. One sweet whiff of the pumpkin spice coffee or the caramel-pecan bark coffee would entice Sleepy-the-dwarf out of bed. (I know - my daughter models herself after Sleepy!) The aromas are that enticing. Autumn just caresses Minnesota. There's nothing wrong with prolonging the season with coffee! (I think the artistic statement hung around this house longer than autumn.)  Thank-you to Foodbuzz and Godiva. These were a pleasure to review!

23 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

nice job on the muffins, who could go wrong wiht Godiva? YUM!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love flavored coffees and a pumpkin spice coffee or the caramel-pecan bark coffee sound wonderful, especially when accompanied by a Godiva chocolate Muffin..yum!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

How lovely that you bonded over delicious coffee and muffins...I might have been tearing my hair out in your position! I agree with Claudia, Godiva makes everything better :)

Hope you have an excellent weekend, Claudia~

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious looking combination wonderfully presented

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely post. How nice to be able to share such wonderful coffee with your daughter :-). The muffins look delicious as well. You are both going to do splendidly. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Angie's Recipes said...

I want one for the breakfast! Never had affogato..it looks tempting.

Jeannie said...

Sounds like my kind of coffee and muffin! I just love muffins with a good cup of coffee!

Beth said...

What a fun assignment! Your muffins look lovely, and I can relate to the experience of getting only eleven (sometimes ten) out of a batch meant to produce a dozen. Good luck with the Artistic Statement!

Unknown said...

I could handle a coffee assignment, that's for sure (as I sit here sipping my cup). In fact, I laughed at this, "make a strong brew." Is there any other kind?

The muffins look amazing. I'll be trying them soon. I also love affogato. Nothing beats it.

FOODESSA said...

Great bonding moments with loved ones...a tasty cup of coffee and dessert to cap it all off...Hmmm...sounds like someone is enjoying life to its fullest ;o)

Have a great weekend.
Ciao for now,
Claudia

Wanda..... said...

Your enjoyment of Godiva's Limited Edition Coffee and the cappuccino muffins made a great post, Claudia. Perfect way to spend the time of your limited Autumn! I really wanted a taste of that Affogato!

That Girl said...

These are especially good for those of us who love the smell of coffee more than drinking it!

Cucina49 said...

I'm still sad I didn't have an affogato when I was in Italy--sadly, I'm still trying to find good gelato up here!

nycstylelittlecannoli said...

they look amazing! all this snow is making me want to bake something...tomorrow will be pumpkin cookies so some can go to work with me on Monday. Love your blog!!

Catherine said...

Oh My Claudia!! This looks soooo good!! both the coffee and the muffins. Blessings, Catherine xo

Anonymous said...

You know that Godiva is a Belgian brand of chocolates??? OOOoh yes!

You have made so tasty muffins & I loved them so much! They were real winners! The coffee also looks quite tempting! yum!

Monet said...

I got to sample this coffee too, and I agree...it does bring Autumn into your home. Now if only I could sample one of these muffins! What a wonderful treat. Thank you for taking the time to share it with me. I'm sipping on tea and about to start on breakfast...I wish I had something like this to start my day with (but in one way, I do!) I hope you have a great week.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do love Godiva chocolates and am intrigued by these "new to me" flavours. Add some coffee and a muffin and I am ready for the day.

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris said...

When I worked in a restaurant in BA as pastry chef, one of my sweet proposals was affogato, just as you describe it but with a "hidden layer of ducle de leche, and chocolate inside ! OMG

Emily @ Life on Food said...

I have had the pumpkin spiced flavor. So good! And there is nothing better than an affogato to make everything seem alright. I think I might go make one now.

Heather S-G said...

Oh, the coffee and the muffins sound delightful! I'm definitely craving some Godiva right now. Mmmm....

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Oh, I love the idea of a cappuccino muffin! They look fabulous!

tasteofbeirut said...

Can't think of anything better than these muffins with some great coffee or the affogatto. Life is meant to be enjoyed, right?