Monday, June 6, 2011

Copper River Salmon a la Giuliano Hazan

There are things worth walking miles for through heat and gnats and the cotton that floats through the air in June from the massive cottonwood trees: Minnesota's small, impossibly-red and summer-sweet strawberries come to mind. Or a double-cream ice cream that Wisconsin produces which really tastes childhood-memory-best when the day is 90 degrees. And then there's Copper River salmon


It has a lacy-delicate flavor for salmon. If the salmon was enchanted, it would be a water sprite - of the water, the air, the earth and the sky. And if these determined gilled-beings can make their way 300 miles up the Copper River - uphill to the tune of about 1,000 feet - I can walk a few measly miles in the heat and pick them up on my journey home. My local grocer has the fish flown in fresh 5-6 days a week and when I buy the Copper River Salmon - I cook them the same day.

I've tried Molly Wizenberg's Copper River salmon with creme fraiche and grilled them in foil with some white wine and herbs and a splash of lemon. And the salmon remained the star and we ate those dishes like hearty Alaskans. But this time I used Giuliano Hazan's simple recipe of dressing the salmon with Italian parsley, thyme. lemon juice, olive oil and breadcrumbs. Let's face it, the man has a pretty good pedigree when it comes to Italian cooking. And it's easy. And if you know anything about me - I am all about ease. The combination of thyme and parsley works - even though thyme is shy and parsley - is not. And there's just enough crunch from the Panko to show off the strengths of this salmon.   


Ingredients:
2 pounds Copper River Salmon fillets
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
a pinch of salt
8 sprigs of Italian parsley (I used more)
4 sprigs of thyme (I used more; yes, I'm an herb-nerd)
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
2-3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs (I used 4-5 tablespoons of Panko)

Preparation:
  1. Prepare grill. 
  2. Put lemon juice and salt in a small bowl and stir until the salt dissolves. 
  3. Chop the herbs and have at least 2 tablespoons of the parsley and 2 teaspoons of the thyme. (Yes, I used more.) 
  4. Add the herbs to the small bowl and then whisk in 4 tablespoons of the olive oil until emulsified. 
  5. Season the salmon with a little salt and pepper (if the fillets are skinny really skimp on the salt or don't use it). 
  6. Coat the fish with the breadcrumbs or Panko. 
  7. Drizzle remaining tablespoon over the salmon and place on the grill (skin side down). 
  8. Grill for about 5-6 minutes per inch of salmon - turning the salmon halfway through the brief cooking time. (We have a fish basket that makes this a cinch.)
  9. Transfer to serving platter, pour herb sauce over it and serve. 
  10. And savor. 



The dining room was silent. And my family (arguably one of the more conversational families on earth) remained quiet as the sounds of fork to plate and swallowing filled the room. I always hope a recipe I post entices you. And once in a while, I will be very pushy and bossy with advice to try this. And so the director in me emerges and if you like salmon, make this, grill this, serve this, eat this... now. Because after June, the Copper River salmon goes away. It's a brass ring - grab it. Life doesn't had out brass rings regularly.


A special shout-out and thanks to Chris's Gourmet Fashion for thinking of me and awarding me this. Chris dishes up gourmet with no fuss and delicious results. Pay her a visit (while you're prepping the salmon). I don't "choose" bloggers as I have to "choose actors" in my daily life and so I break tradition and offer this to my followers. Now stop reading, you have a salmon dinner to prepare!

49 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

The Copper River salmon sounds fabulous Claudia. I'm envious that your fish market flies fish in so often. Would you like a new neighbor?

Love the simplicity of this recipe combined with all of my favorite flavors - herbs, lemon and panko.

BTW, I can't remember if I've thanked you or not for not having the word verification thing. It makes leaving comments so much more pleasurable.
Sam

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Claudia I love grilled salmon as cooking it over a very hot fire seems to bring our its natural sweetness. I'll definitely try this way to prepare it!

Chris's Gourmet Fashion said...

As always I was enjoying reading your post, (taking a break from some more boring stuff called work) and I was just thinking ... got to try this as I was scrolling down ... telling myself OK sans the thyme, to which I am allergic, then I saw you shout out ... thanks so much.

Mister Meatball said...

A lot of hype isn't justified, but in Copper River salmon I'd have to say that it is. A great-tasting fish indeed.

And congrats on your award!

Proud Italian Cook said...

You had me at water sprite! I'm going to buy some and cook it just like you! I'm going for the brass ring!

Juliana said...

Claudia, I like the idea of coating the salmon and grilling...have yet to try this way to cook salmon. The pictures are very tempting. Thanks for the recipe.
Have a wonderful week ahead :-)

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy looking salmon this is a wonderful way to have salmon I like fish with breadcrumb and spices

Amy said...

I like copper river salmon the best :)! You have done a wonderful job of preparing it here, it sounds so delicious with the inclusion of all the fresh herbs!

art is in the kitchen said...

I have only tasted this highly priced salmon once and never forgot how good it tasted. If they are in season now, i might find ithem in the gourmet market nearby. I have to have this after seeing your mouth-watering pictures! Ciao!!!

Gwen said...

wonderfully written. 'thyme is shy and parsely is not'.... so very true. ;) So is this salmon farmed then or fresh? Wonderful recipe, thank you. I adore salmon.

Claudia said...

The Copper River Salmon is wild-caught and sustainable.

Miri Leigh said...

This salmon looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Kirsten Lindquist said...

I listen to whatever any Hazan tells me, so thanks for sharing!

Angie's Recipes said...

When comes to salmon, I am taking more than happy to take your advice. I think I am going to get some today...thanks for sharing it!
Angie

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

OOOh I love the look and sound of that Copper River Salmon. Being a Scot, I adore salmon but never heard of this. OK, Madame Directeur, I'm convinced. The herbs and the panko sound fabulous - and if it quietens even the loudest at the table, too? I'm IN!

Beth said...

This salmon sounds wonderful. Aren't we lucky to have our local specialties?

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Claudia, you did it again! You know I love Salmon, I have to try this.... I love everything on there and it looks even better than it sounds what another winner here! Looks Like I am off to buy some Salmon, its been at least three weeks since I made it and this is unique... cant wait to try it!

FOODESSA said...

First, I want to thank you for sharing such an appetizing and easy salmon recipe.
Secondly, thanks for the reminder that I'll have to get a step on getting to the nearest strawberry field for our very sweet Spring berries...especially since I had missed my chance last year.

Claudia, it's nice to be back to enjoying your charming and friendly postings. Hope all is well ;o)

Ciao for now and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Anne said...

We are salmon lovers,so I cook it alot. I am always looking for new recipes. I will certainly try this.
Thanks.

Emily Malloy said...

Oh how I do love a good salmon. This recipe looks divine.

Island Vittles said...

I love the preparation you used on this glorious looking salmon! We don't get the copper creek variety up here, so I'll have to wait for the sockeye to show themselves later in the year, but then I will make this salmon as ordered! (I swear.) ;) Theresa

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

Oh, I love Copper River salmon, too...and both your recipes sound fabulous...now it's time to stop at the market to get me some fish :)

That Girl said...

When I worked at a restaurant Copper River Salmon season was THE big deal.

Anna C said...

Claudia, being out of commission for the past week or so,I really missed your delightful posts and yummy recipes. The salmon looks divine. Nice touch with the panko crumbs which makes it nice and crispy. Loved your posts on your visit to Chicago...what a lovely break for you.

Unknown said...

I'm not a big salmon fan, but I have to admit that this one caught my attention and held it. The crust on it is beautiful and it looks perfect. No wonder your family was absolutely silent.

Unknown said...

I'm not a big salmon fan, but I have to admit that this one caught my attention and held it. The crust on it is beautiful and it looks perfect. No wonder your family was absolutely silent.

chow and chatter said...

this looks so good adore a good salmon recipe

Kate@Diethood said...

Claudia, I think this is the best salmon I have ever "had" ...drool :) I love the way that you prepared it... I can understand why everyone was quiet. Yum!!

Anonymous said...

Copper river salmon is the best, and this is an excellent preparation, so tasty!

Kim said...

Holy cow, Claudia! That recipe for salmon looks so amazing. Seriously, that is some of the best looking salmon that I've seen since food blogging. Simple and amazing just as it should be..worth the walk in the heat for sure:)

Jeannie said...

You've got me salivating over your photos! I love the look of those salmon! You cook it to perfection!Pity I can't get Copper Salmon here.

Kristen said...

I well remember the Copper River Salmon events that would occur in Seattle grocery stores. Here in Arizona, it's a blip if anything. How I miss good fresh salmon. Your version sounds amazing.

Monet said...

My local Whole Foods keeps on raving about this Copper River Salmon...I think I'm going to have to splurge this weekend and give it a try! Thank you for sharing with me, my friend. Your words and creativity bring a big smile to my face. Love and hugs from Austin!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris said...

This is the way I love fish...I avoid creams, I love feeling the fish...Thanks !!

theUngourmet said...

What a fabulous salmon recipe! My daughter and I love salmon but my husband and my son aren't too fond of it. I'll have to make a special meal for 2 then. ;)

Reeni said...

I'm jealous of your amazing salmon - never saw it here - but I'll be looking now! The way you prepared it would silence my family too!

Unknown said...

A quiet room at dinner is always a good sign! This salmon looks delicious and perfectly prepared. I really like the little bit of panko.

Lori Lynn said...

Claudia - I love your recipe and how you describe the CRS.
My passion equals yours, soon I will share too. It is very special indeed.
LL

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

That, my dear, is some gorgeous salmon. Wish I had time to make it for dinner tonight!

Velva said...

Oh Claudia! I would love to be a guest at your dinner table. This looks awesome.

Velva

Rosita Vargas said...

Awesome salmon so beautifully presented,looks gorgeous,hugs ,hugs.

Nancy said...

Oh Claudia this sounds and looks like the most perfect - no heavenly salmon ever! My mouth wont stop watering at your description and photos. Thanks for sharing :)

kita said...

Salmon is one of my favorite dishes. The texture, the flavor. I have heard a lot about the copper river salmon and am envious that I have no source for it where I am. This looks beautiful.

My Little Space said...

Claudia, I love your salmon coating. They look really inviting. thanks for sharing another lovely recipe. Have a great day, dear.
Blessings, Kristy

tasteofbeirut said...

Excellent! VEry close to our Lebanese way of dressing things, with zaatar (thyme), lemon garlic and olive oil. Works every time!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Claudia, preparing salmon in the most simplistic ways is always the best. I love salmon; so good for us too. You're fortunate to have a fresh fish market near you. We don't and I think it is because we're so close to the coast that most folks down here drive to markets. But I trust Whole Foods and the Fresh Market stores for my fish. Gorgeous dish, Claudia!

OysterCulture said...

Sounds amazing, and you made me miss some of the things that make Minnesota and the midwest special. Despite the heat I love this time of year.

Your recipe sounds stupendous.

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia,

Salmon is one of my favorite fishes. I like this version with the panko crunch. Don't you love when the eye brows go up and the smile come to the face of you kids when they taste something delicious you have just made. I bet that is what happened when you family tasted this!
I also like the saying of catching the brass ring. I must remember that and borrow it for my kids. Blessings to you my friend, Catherine ox

Dentist West Hollywood said...

Even though it's simple, this recipe sounds amazing. Salmon has such a wonderful flavor on its own that it doesn't need much added to it, but I think the few things added here could really bring it out. I'll try it asap!

@}----Rosie