Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In Celebration: Husbands, Grilled Corn Chowder, Blackbox Wines, an Award and You!

I've been doing that musing/thinking I do sometimes. I sometimes shut down for a bit as my mind flits around, focuses for a few moments and then flies in another direction. I am thinking how this is an Italian food blog in which Italian food is severely lacking the last few weeks! Then I rationalize: for what is Italian food - but making good use of the freshest of ingredients and then preparing them so the food is not masked but illuminated.

And as summer wanes and the harvest is gathered, I find cause to celebrate. I shall celebrate my husband. (Who just finished the 20-step process of making grilled corn chowder and still smiles.)


The man who brought me and our kids to Ireland.

Where he waited patiently as I took photos of signs, food, street lamps and doorways.
Oh! And a donkey!


The man who built my patio shelving for my birthday to house some of my herbs and vegetables.



And the man who once a year makes Steven Raichlen's Grilled Corn Chowder.

This is no ordinary corn chowder. This is eating the bounty of the season. After making this, I promise you will never try another corn chowder recipe again. Filled with grilled peppers, onions, thyme - and - and that sweet corn - all at their peak. A spoonful of summer. A feeling that all will be well - even if it;s complicated. Comfort. Home. Nature. Love. Of the sun, the summer, the grill, the vegetables, the herbs, the potatoes, the broth, the sweetness, the tart, the wonder of soup. Made only hours after the ingredients were pulled from the earth.

It's a meal. Savor. Make it.


I know it has a lot of steps - but make it. You'll thank me. You'll thank Mr. Raichlen. Find the recipe here. (Scroll down, let me know if the link doesn't work for you because you need to make this.) Aside from doubling the thyme, I dot all i's and cross all t's and follow it. It's from THE BARBECUE BIBLE.
And as I thank the world, my mother, my aunts, my pets, my children (I do get caught up in thanking moods), I have to give a great big shout out to New Zealand's Black Box Wines for sending me a box of their Sauvignon Blanc.

Sauvignon Blanc is one of my favorite summer wines and Black Box does not disappoint. Citrusy and rich in summer aromas, it pairs well with summer vegetable dishes, holds up to strong cheeses and begs for a fruit to be included with your cheese plate. Pour a glass and be greeted by floral aromas. The wine has gotten some rave reviews and with its retail price of $24.99 (the box has the equivalent of 4 bottles of wine) it is grand for entertaining.


It pairs easily with a salad just picked from your garden. It's the citrus touch that brings the harvest to life!



And is a natural for some sharp asiago and a freshly picked orchard apple. I'm searching for some cheddar ... and plan on using it for my Cover Girl Dinner this Saturday eve - where it has to contend with aioli-stuffed turkey burgers and ginger-scented peach pavlovas. I think it's up to the task!


And my last thanks - to I love flavor, me who sent me this just short of my trip to Ireland. It was a huge smile for me as is her blog - chock full of grand recipes, food insights and musings of life in the world today. Her blog always delights. Thank you Ruth. I shall answer a few questions and pass it along to my delightful commenters. Whether I actually write about Italian food or go off into my "muse" world, I remain appreciative to those who stay with me and take time out of their precious day to share a few minutes with me. So please - all of you kind bloggers who have been following me - take it and share it with others. Bring smiles. Send it into the world. If you'ver commented on my blog - it's yours with grace.
1.what is your current obsession?
Baking! You can't just double what is tasty as I do when I cook. It's chemistry.
2. What’s for dinner?
Tomorrow? Caprese pasta!
4. What’s the last thing you bought?
My Life in France, Courtesy of my husband.
5. What are you listening to right now?
The banter between my daughter and my husband.
6. What do you think about the person who tagged you?
Very kind.
7. If you could have a house totally paid for, fully furnished anywhere in the world, where would you like it to be?
I'm pretty content here -except in the winter. Some sabbaticals would be nice ...
8. Which language do you want to learn?
Italian and finally master French!
9. What do you do when you are feeling low or terribly depressed?
Cook, write, read, walk
10. Who inspired you to start a blog?
Part Julie Powell, part Molly Winzenburg, part me!

Please, make the corn chowder and tell me how you liked it! The corn is still here. Simmer summer while we have it.









22 comments:

Pearl said...

next year your hubby makes corn chowder, i'm coming over. i'll even babysit your grown children.

OysterCulture said...

What a great post, sometimes we forget to appreciate those closest to us.

The corn chowder sounds incredible, thanks for sharing the recipe and I love the idea of smoking the corn. I live in an apartment and one of the disadvantages is not having ready access to a grill, but I do have an indoor smoker and some nice ears of corn from my CSA so I know what I am going to do,

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post about your husband! The corn chowder sounds fantastic and your excellent description of it makes me imagine exactly how delicious it tastes!

Wanda..... said...

Good morning Claudia,
I will have to try your husband's corn chowder...the Black Box Sauvignon Blanc is already a favorite.
Your trip to Ireland was so enviable...It is such a beautiful place! One more reason to appreciate your husband!
Congratulations on the award too!

Smiles always,
Wanda

Barbara GF said...

I'm savoring this post, Claudia. Lovely thoughts and thanks here.
I will give that corn chowder recipe a try and toast you with a glass of wine for sharing moments of your beautiful life.

Reeni said...

What a sweet post! Your husband is a gem. The corn chowder looks/sounds incredibly delicious!

Katy ~ said...

I LOVE corn chowder. One of my favorite soups of all time and this one sounds exquisite.

Your husband sounds like like a gem!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You have me sold on trying this corn chowder.

Very wonderful tribute to your husband.

Juliana said...

Wow, the corn chowder look so yummie, very hearty as well. By the way, nice post about your husband :-)

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

Wow, all those steps and still a smile. Must be for the love of his family.
Great post! Makes me want to go give my husband a hug.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Loved your proclaimation of love for your dear hubby...And can I borrow him for just one lunch? DYING for his chowder!

Heather S-G said...

I love corn chowder...but this one looks particularly tasty. What a great man you have :) I have been wanting to try a Black Box wine because, YES, I keep hearing great reviews. And congrats on your award- fun tidbits about you :D

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your corn chowder sounds wonderful and your photo is fantastic. I find it very difficult to photograph soups and chowders and yours turned out very professional. Congratulations on your award too.
Sam

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Your husband is a keeper, Claudia!
His corn chowder looks so delicious. I am a soup person and love trying new combinations.

I am still in Colorado and haven't cooked for two weeks -- I am actually looking forward to getting back to normal routine soon.

Love your Ireland photos!

unconfidentialcook said...

The corn chowder sounds fantastic--thanks to your husband!!! Great post on every count.

Proud Italian Cook said...

What a sweet hubby you have! I promise I will make this chowder! It all sounds so good, you've totally convinced me, so I want to shout out a big THANK YOU to both of you.
Hugs,
marie

Peter @ italyMONDO! said...

Grilled corn Chowder? Looks divine!!

figtree said...

I may not even test this recipe, it sounds sooo delicious. Im gonna invite and big crowd over Im sure it will be a HUGE hit. Much thanks Figtreeapps

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I sent you an email telling you that you were the winner of the cookbook on my blog, but I haven't heard back from you. I need your address in order to mail you the book. Thanks
Linda (ciaochowlinda)
mirandasmother@gmail.com

Velva said...

A good corn chowder cannot be beat. Yours looks fabulous! With summer winding down and corn still plentiful, this is a great recipe!

junglemama said...

You recipes are delightful! I too have a recipe for corn chowder! Your's sounds so tasty!

My Little Space said...

Oh, so sweet of him! He is a nice man. You're so lucky, ma'am!