Friday, March 13, 2009

Tossing Winter

March 12. Four months till my fifty-something birthday. Two months until my son's college graduation. The sudden knowledge that I will not be covered up in winter-wear forever hit me. Time to switch to spring eating.

In a fit of spring fever (even while it was minus four F outside), I emptied the fridge. Toss, keep for dinner, toss, keep for dinner. And I looked at what I kept. Left over garlic, leftover onion, some grape tomatoes, some Kalamata olives. Took out the chicken breast and made my last winter-comfort food. Even if we go back down to zero, I will be grilling salmon. It will be spring inside my home if not outside.

In a little bit of olive oil, I sauteed the onions (my leftovers were red ones) and garlic (slivered). When they were soft, I seared the chicken. I threw in the last of the grape tomatoes and about ten pitted Kalamata olives sliced in half. I went to my pantry and threw in some canned plum tomatoes. And then, because I could, I added about 1/2 cup of white wine.

I felt virtuous - like Grandma Gresio - who never owned a cookbook. Somehow it would work. My last comfort meal until November 2009. The food would only get lighter and lighter as the daylight increased. I simmered all together for about forty minutes. And it wasn't bad. It wasn't bad at all.


Added a little brown rice (fettuccine would also work). And felt soothed.


My fridge was sparkling and empty. Ready for baby lettuces, asparagus and leeks. Some berries and yogurt. And am thinking maybe even losing one pound a week would go a long way into fitting into spring clothes. Spring may be arriving in a week, but in Minnesota, I have a wee bit more time. At least a month. Maybe four pounds will be gone by then. Maybe six. I'll take it. I'm tossing winter aside. Shedding my old skin. Definitely thinking spring.

6 comments:

OhioMom said...

This time of year I start craving lighter foods also, can't wait for the farmers markets spring veggies!

I would love to sit down to this meal....lovely :)

S.A. Barone, Artist said...

This is certainly a wonderfully comforting meal. I think I could eat it in the spring too along with a delicate green salad.

Sara said...

Looks great, I love impromptu meals. I saw fresh peas at the farmer's market this morning, I was so excited!

Claudia said...

Our Farmer's Market starts mid-April. It's coming ... it's coming. Starting seeds today.

Talita said...

Yummm, this dish looks delicious!

Claudia said...

It did turn out lovely for an "empty your refrigerator" meal.